Associate Professor (Lecturer) Emeritus (Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1990) -- Russia; urban, political, historical geography
- urban geography
- political geography
- historical geography
Moscow, Russia, USSR. Current research: geopolitics of garbage in Russia; the revanchist Russian Orthodox Church; Russian neo-illiberalism; post-soviet transportation in Moscow.
- Ph.D. - Geography, University of California, Berkeley (1990)
- M.A. - Geography, University of California, Berkeley (1984)
- B.A. - Geography, University of California, Berkeley (1981)
- China and Russia: Geopolitical Relations, Past and Present (GEOG 3680)
- World Cities (GEOG 3610)
- Geography of China (BUS 3840)
- Soviet Union (HIST 3160)
The Evolution of New Moscow: From Panacea to Polycentricity, Eurasian Geography and Economics 59 (3-4): 408-435. Published 2018. Published online 18 February 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/15387216.2019.1573693.
New Moscow: A Pragmatic Assessment, in Alla G. Makhrova, ed., Staraya i Novaya Moskva: Tendentsii i Problemy Razvitiya (Old and New Moscow: Tendencies and Problems of Development). Moscow: Russian Geographical Society: 219-243. Published 2018.
- Moscow under Construction: City-Building, Place-Based Protest, and Civil Society, Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. Published 2016.
- Moscow on the Rise, from Primate City to Mega-Region, The Geographical Review 103 (1) (January): 20-36. Published 2013.
New Moscow: An Exploratory Assessment, Eurasian Geography and Economics 52 (6): 857-875. Published, 12/2011.
- Vanguard of Socialist Colonization?: The Krasnyi Vostok Expediton of 1920, Central Asian Survey, 3 (3–4), September–December 2011, 437–454. Published, 09/2011.
- Soviet Agitational Vehicles: Bolsheviks in Strange Places, in Mark Bassin, Chris Eley, and Melissa Stockdale, eds. Place, Space, and Power in Modern Russia: Essays in the New Spatial History. DeKalb: Northern Illinois Press: 142-163. Published, 04/2010.
“ A Pragmatic Perspective on the New Moscow Mega-Project, presented at the International Geographic Union Thematic Conference: Practical Geography and XXI Century Challenges, 6 June 2018, Moscow.
“ Was ‘New Moscow’ Really Necessary?, presented at the National Convention of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, 10 November 2017, Chicago.
Kommunarka: A New Node in New Moscow?, presented at the conference, “New Moscow: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow,” sponsored by the Russian Geographical Society, 27 June 2017, Moscow.
“ New Moscow: From Utopian Dream to Mundane Sprawl?, presented at the National Convention of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, 19 November 2016, Washington, D. C.“
‘No to Obama! Yes to the Church!’ Parks, Protest, and ‘200 Churches’ in Moscow, presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, 31 March 2016, San Francisco.
- New Moscow Tomorrow: Cutting-Edge Mega-Region or Sprawl?, presented at the International Geographic Union Regional Conference, Moscow, August, 2015.
- The Moscow Mega-Region: Functions Following Form?,” presented at the National Convention of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies, 21 November, 2014 San Antonio.
- “Avtomobil’shchina: Moscow’s Unsustainable Automobilization,” presented at the conference, “Moscow: A Global City,” held in Leeds, UK, 26 November. Conference Paper, Presented, 11/2010.
Organizer of the panel, “New Moscow: Six Years in the Making,” for the National Convention of the Association for Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies, Chicago, 10 November 2017.
Delegate, Moscow Urban Forum, 6-7 July 2017, Moscow.
Organizer of the panel, “Spatial 'Fixes' for Urban Problems in East Europe and Northern Eurasia,” for the National Convention of the Association for Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies (formerly the AAASS), November 2016.