Requirements for the Geography Teaching minor
Teaching minors must coordinate Geography requirements with the requirements of the Secondary Education licensure program of the Education Department.
Students must complete a seven (7) courses of Geography required coursework (see list below) plus a teaching methods course. A grade of C or better must be achieved in all coursework.
A minimum of 12 credit hours must be taken in residence at the University of Utah Department of Geography.
Students who have questions pertaining to the teaching minor should book an advising appointment with the undergraduate advisor.
PROGRAM OF STUDY
- GEOG 1000 - Earth Environments and Global Change SF (3)
- GEOG 1300 - World Regional Geography BF (3)
- GEOG 1400 - Human Geography BF (3)
- GEOG 3040 - Principles of Cartography (4) **
- GEOG 3140 - Introduction to GIS QI (4) **
- GEOG 3600 - Geography of Utah (3)
- EDU 5170 - Secondary Science Methods
- - OR -
- EDU 5180 - Secondary Social Studies Methods
- - OR -
- EDU 5375 - Science Methods
TOTAL COURSES (min. 8)
TOTAL RESIDENCY HRS. (12 credit hrs. at UofU Geog. Dept.)
** GEOG 3040 is soon to be discontinued. If you have already taken GEOG 3140: Intro to GIS or plan on taking GEOG 3140 in Summer 2017, you MUST take GEOG 3040: Principles of Cartography this Fall 2017 semester!
Students who have questions about the major should book an advising appointment with the Geography undergraduate advisor.
Once you've declared your minor with us, subscribe to our email list for notices of department news, events, speakers and job opportunities!