Geography BS / BA
Requirements for the Geography major
Students must complete a minimum of nine (9) courses of Geography required coursework (see list below) plus a minimum of five (5) Geography elective courses for a minimum total of fourteen (14) required Geography courses. One 5000 level course must be included in the elective courses*. Students choose their elective courses according to their interest/specialization area. All courses for the major must be taken for a letter grade and completed with a C- or better.
Students must complete at least 18 credit hours in the Department of Geography at the University of Utah.
ALLIED CREDIT REQUIREMENT:
12 credit hours of allied coursework are also required. These courses will generally be in the student’s interest/specialization area and can be done in any of the following departments: Atmospheric Sciences; Biology; City and Metropolitan Planning; Civil Engineering; Computer Science; Geology; Parks, Recreation and Tourism; Philosophy; or any department** in the College of Social and Behavioral Science. **(Aerospace Studies, Anthropology, Economics, Environmental and Sustainability Studies, Ethnic Studies, Family and Consumer Studies, Gender Studies, Health Society and Policy, Military Science, Naval Science, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology)
PROGRAM OF STUDY
Required Courses: (Geography Requirements)
- GEOG 1000 - Earth Environments and Global Change SF (3)
- GEOG 1400 - Human Geography BF (3)
- GEOG 3020 - Geographical Analysis QB/QI (4)
- GEOG 3040 - Principles of Cartography (4)
- GEOG 3140 - Introduction to GIS QI (4)
One of the following: (Upper division physical geography choice)
- GEOG 3/5200 - Geomphology: Mtns, Rivers, Deserts SF (4)
- GEOG 3/5205 - Regional and Global Climates (3)
- GEOG 3/5210 - Global Climate Change SF (3)
- GEOG 3/5215 - Climate Change and Its Impacts (3)
- GEOG 3/5290 - Water in Utah (3)
- GEOG 3/5292 - Snow and Ice (3)
- GEOG 3310 - Introduction to Natural Hazards SF (3)
One of the following: (Upper division human geography choice)
- GEOG 3/5190 - Introduction to Medical Geography (3)
- GEOG 3350- Resource Conservation & Environmental Mgmt. BF (3)
- GEOG 3/5375 - Sustainable Transptation (3)
- GEOG 3420 - Political Geography (3)
- GEOG 3/5440 - Global Economic Geography BF/IR (3)
- GEOG 3480 - Urban Geography BF (3)
- GEOG 3620 - Geography of Nth America DV (3)
One of the following: (Geography CW choice)
- GEOG 3/5270 - Biogeography: Global Patterns of Life SF/CW (4)
- GEOG 3/5400 - Population Geography BF/CW (4)
Five Elective Courses: (Any geography class-one at 5000 level)
TOTAL COURSES (min. 14)
TOTAL RESIDENCY HRS. (18 credit hrs. at UofU Geog. Dept.)
*GEOG 5940 Internship in Geography may be counted only once toward the major elective requirement and does not count as the required 5000-level elective course
Students who have questions about the major should book an advising appointment
with the Geography undergraduate advisor.
Once you've declared your major with us, subscribe to our email list for notices of department news, events, speakers and job opportunities!
Students MUST apply for graduation in their second to last semester (online). Click here for more information.
|Graduation Term||Due Date|
|Fall (December)||July 1|
|Spring (May)||Nov 1|
|Summer (August)||March 1|
Applications that are received by March 1st will have names included in the Spring Convocation Programs.
Students who have questions about this process should book an advising appointment with the Geography undergraduate advisor.