Geospatial Intelligence Certificate
The term geospatial intelligence refers to "the exploitation and analysis of imagery and geospatial information to describe, assess, and visually depict physical features and geographically referenced human activities on the Earth. GEOINT information consists of maps, imagery intelligence, and geospatially-referenced information." The primary use of GEOINT is in military and security operations, but it has application to business locational analysis, environmental monitoring and relevant policy formulation.
The GEOINT certificate can prepare you to use critical thinking, knowledge of human and physical geography, problem-solving abilities, and geographic information technologies to confront challenges such as disaster response, emergency management, pollution assessment and military operations.
Accredited Education (usgif.org)
This certificate program provides students with a broad set of skills in the areas of geographic information systems, remote sensing, geospatial statistical analysis, intelligence gathering and global positioning systems. Accredited by the United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) in 2012, the University of Utah's GEOINT Certificate Program assures the geospatial capabilities of students entering the field and provides valuable continuing educational opportunities for professional development. USGIF's accreditation program was established in 2005 to encourage higher education institutions to develop academic certificates that prepare students to advance the geospatial intelligence field. Certificate graduates meet the requirements for professionals set forth by the USGIF.
In compliance with USGIF accreditation criteria, our graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of earth image processing/remote sensing, geographic information science, computer science, and analytic processes to geospatial intelligence
- Find and interpret data, and conduct complex analysis tasks
- Function effectively in a collaborative environment
- Select, use, synthesize, and demonstrate the techniques, skills, and tools necessary to solve geospatial intelligence problems
Who Should Apply
- Undergraduate and graduate students interested in a career with NGA, US military, intelligence agencies and private industry firms engaged in security, environmental monitoring and business intelligence or preparing for a higher level of GEOINT study.
- If you are a GEOINT professional working in such fields as national security, disaster response, environmental resource preservation, or business intelligence, this certificate program was designed to fulfill continuing professional development requirements and provide a recognized credential of that development.
Career Opportunities for Graduates
The GEOINT Certificate can help start or advance your career in the geospatial field specializing as a:
- geospatial intelligence analyst
- imagery analyst
- intelligence image analyst
Find Out More or Apply Now
Create a Profile with USGIF (this is HIGHLY recommended for those who finish the certificate program)
Students are responsible for filling out the Certificate Completion Form in the semester before graduation (or, if a non-matriculated student, the semester currently completing certificate coursework). The Completion Form can be picked up and must be mailed or turned in by students to the Geography Main Office:
University of Utah, Department of Geography
332 South 1400 East
BLDG 73, Rm. 217
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
The Certificate is mailed to the address shown on the student's Certificate Completion Form. It is the student's responsibility to make sure the mailing address on their Certificate Completion Form is correct and legible. The certificate is mailed to the student from USGIF.